Monday, April 28, 2008

Should I buy a Dive Computer?

My geeky self has been looking around eagerly at dive computers etc. But then I came across this thread that said this about the policies of dive computer:

I recieved my field manual for the expedition a couple days ago and their policies about dive computers are made very clear

"Dive computer - Not an essential item. All dives are planned using the RDP"

"Divers are not allowed to use a computer as a primary guage unless both divers carry a computer"

"Every dive, regardless of depth, will adopt a safty stop for at least three minutes at five metres.

They get strick about planning a dive and if anyone exceeds the depth that was planned in the predive planning session - The dive is terminated and a 5 metre stop before surfacing is immediatly initiated.

There are these alternatives for just logging: http://reefnet.ca/products/sensus/

Main reason for me to get are:
- not to ascend to fast [but there will be others ya?]
- too deep warning [same ans as above]
- know exactly how much to dive [only if there are SO MANY dives which usually ain't]

Hmm but after talking to my dad, he suggested that USD300 is a small price to pay for an additional safety feature, its not like its a must but it would help. SO being the techie geek that i am who cant resist to buy tech stuff, i've come up with a compromise - ill spend not more that USD250 on a dive computer.

After looking around, I know exactly what I want, its the Suunto Gekko. So does anyone have a 2nd hand one i can buy???

No comments: